Initial impressions are always important when showing your home, but in the winter, there are some extras to keep in mind:
- Keep leaves and snow off the drive.
- If there is snow on the ground, and the lot boundary is not clear, either clear the snow or plant flags along the lot line. Your showing agents will understand what the flags are for.
- Add solar lighting along the driveway. Buyers who come at sundown will get a great idea as to how attractive and cozy-looking your home is.
- You can also adorn trees with lights to emphasize parts of your yard.
- Check your front yard, especially, to make sure it looks appealing even though plants will be hibernating.
- You could build a snowman in the yard as a “welcome” to buyers. If that is not for you, add something seasonal or festive to welcome them in.
- If you have furniture on your deck, keep the leaves and snow away, to give potential buyers an insight as to what it is like to sit there in good weather.
Inside Your Home
- Keep decorations to a minimum, so your potential buyers can really envision themselves and their belongings in the space. Make everything look attractive, pleasant, fun, cozy (you choose) without taking away from the non-seasonal advantages of your living space.
- Play quiet seasonal or instrumental music.
- Decide if you want to have an aroma. Remember some people do not like overwhelmingly potent scents such as cinnamon. There is also the case to be made that because a lot of sellers add scent to their homes during showings, your home may stand out if it does not have any added artificial scents.
- Make your home feel as light and bright as possible when the sun goes down. Change or add lighting. Go into each room and decide how you can add a little wow factor with lights.
- The longer buyers stay, the more they remember, so have photo albums showing off the home in spring and summer, or “things to do” in each season around the area of the home and within the community. You can even include descriptions on why you and your family love your home in fall and winter.
We at Brown McMillen are always here to help you make the most of selling successfully. Give us a call at (360) 757 6013. We look forward to hearing from you.